Vocabulary Words To Work On.
(Total reading time 2 minutes)
Over the last few days I read book no 25 on my goal towards 40. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens brought my streak of novellas to an end. Of course I had heard the story before but this is the fist time I actually read it straight from the source. I enjoyed but at times got a bit lost in the dialect of the time. More importantly it made me realize my vocabulary sucks. So here are few words I came across and wrote down for further exploration. Enjoy: Words with friends any one?
- Prodigiously – remarkably great in size.
- Bade – This past tense of bid.
- Procuring – obtain or get with care.
- Penance – voluntary self punishment.
- Faltered – to lose strength and or momentum.
- Feeble – lacking physical strength.
- Plume – along feather worn for ornament. (Think peter pans hat)
- Pitch-and-toss – a gambling game were some one tries to throw a coin as close as possible to a mark. (Personal note: I did this in junior high school for quarters)
- Ruddy – having a red healthy color.
- Petrification – a state of extreme fear that renders a person still.
- Furrows – narrow trench in the grown.
- Filberts – a type of nut.
- Swoon – faint and overcome with emotion.
- Bristling – short stiff hair.
- Gruel – similar to oatmeal.
- Incredulous – unwilling or un able to believe something.
- Infernal – a characteristic of hell.
- Breeches – short pants.
Hope you learned something from this long list of scrabble words.
Thats all I have to say.